HAMMOND LOCATION





Opened as a satellite of South Shore Arts in 1998, this branch location serves as a cornerstone of the downtown Hammond Arts District, providing its urban audience with exhibits, classes, a printmaking studio and community outreach programs. The Substation building was a former NIPSCO Industries electrical substation and was transformed into an urban art center through financial and in-kind contributions from individuals and businesses. A Three striking murals cover the sides of Subsbation No. 9, including "The Hugging Wall" by Tom Torluemke and "Watch of Us Grow" by Geoffry Smalley, details of which are shown below.

Use of the Substation facility is an in-kind contribution of NiSource, Inc. Operating support is provided by the City of Hammond.

DISCOUNT FOR HAMMOND RESIDENTS
Through a cooperative relationship with the City of Hammond, South Shore Arts is able to offer art classes at half price to Hammond residents only taking classes at Substation No. 9. Discount not applicable at any other location. Proof of residency required upon registration. Please call the South Shore Arts office in Munster (219/836-1839, ext. 101) for more details on these scholarships.


Substation No. 9
435 Fayette Street
Hammond, IN 46320
(219)836-1839



Hours
Open for classes only
Other hours by appointment

Directions
From the North:
Take the Chicago Skyway to the Calumet Avenue south exit. Proceed south on Calumet Avenue about two miles to Fayette Street. Turn right on Fayette and proceed west for three blocks. Substation No. 9 is on the right hand side.

From the South:
Take the Calumet Avenue north exit off of I-80/94. Proceed north on Calumet Avenue about two miles to Fayette Street. Turn left on Fayette and proceed west for three blocks. Substation No. 9 is on the right hand side.





About the Murals

How did the artist do it?
Tom first drew the mural onto paper, next he transferred a full value pencil sketch onto water color paper where he created a painting just like the finished mural. The painting was used as a grid. The painting was drawn on the wall with crayons. A painting crew assisted Tom, they included the following local artists Deena Galich of Hobart, Alex Jovanovich, Clinton Mason, Geoffry Smalley and Lisa Torleumke all of Hammond. A crane from Central Crane Rental helped the artists to reach the top of the wall.

How long did it take?
The process of painting the mural took approximately 10 weeks to complete.

Where did the idea come from?
The mural was commissioned by Louis Ortiz, curator of the NiSource corporate art collection. Together with artist Tom Torleumke, they agreed on two murals to be painted. Tom commenced work on the east side of the building, securing his friend and artist Geoffry Smalley for the west side of the building.

What kind of paint was used?
12 gallons of Deka sign enamel was used to paint the murals.